Check this awesome Q & A with our December 2018 Athlete of the Month Frank Gobes!
1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
I started CrossFit almost two years ago. I coached my son Stephen in baseball from T-Ball through his college prep team. After 14 years of coaching, he left me to play college baseball, so I started searching for a new activity. It was Stephen who recommended Crossfit and he specifically recommended CrossFit Westchester, where he was a member until he moved to New York City.
2. What time of day do you normally come in?
Usually for a 6PM class.
3. What is one movement you hate and one you love?
I hate burpees and love rowing.
4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year?
To continue to get stronger. I also want to lose some weight.
5. Tell us one fun fact about you.
I was a volunteer firefighter for over 10 years for the Village of Scarsdale and was certified to go into interior structures with oxygen tank and mask.
6. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc…) would you want to be left with?
Cheeseburgers and beer (I consider that to be one food) and my iphone.
7. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life?
My uphill cycling has gotten a lot better. In life, I feel better and stronger. I used to have aches from sitting behind a desk all day & not being active enough. Now I have soreness from CrossFit workouts, a much better feeling! Also, I find CrossFit to be a great stress reducer after a long day of work as a wills, trusts and estates attorney.
8. How have workouts changed for you over the years?
When I started I was completely clueless about the workouts. Now I am only partly clueless:) I am thankful that the coaches still point out what I am doing wrong so that I am able to do better each week. When I started I could seldom do workouts 2 days in a row. Now I work out 4 days in a row.
Rate your skills: 1-10– 10 being your best.
Endurance – 2
Stamina – 3
Strength – 10
Flexibility – 1
Speed – 4
Agility – 7
Balance – 5
Accuracy – 6
Power – 9
Coordination – 8