Check this awesome Q & A with our November 2018 Athlete of the Month Peter Bernstein!
1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
The short answer is because Cathleen convinced me three and a half years ago to join. The longer answer is that I had been working out at sports clubs for years and it was drudgery. I had to stay longer to feel like I was improving. It was a chore. CrossFit gets me in and out, it pushes me beyond my limits, it is fun, there is a sense of accomplishment, and for the first time I feel like I am getting results.
2. What time of day do you normally come in?
Usually for a 6PM class and on the weekends.
3. What is one movement you hate and one you love?
I hate squat snatches–because I just don’t have that shoulder mobility. I like Box Jumps because I never thought I could jump as I have been able to.
4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year?
Continue to achieve new 1 rep maxes.
5. Tell us one fun fact about you.
I took up skiing when I was 40 so I could try to keep up with my kids.
6. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc…) would you want to be left with?
Black and white cookies and the complete works of Shakespeare.
7. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life?
It has been great to be in my 50s and have new challenges in my life.
8. How have workouts changed for you over the years?
I don’t dread them like I used to.
Rate your skills: 1-10– 10 being your best.
Endurance – 7
Stamina – 7
Strength – 6
Flexibility – 3
Speed – 5
Agility – 4
Balance – 4
Accuracy – 4
Power – 6
Coordination – 6