Check this awesome Q & A with our September 2018 Athlete of the Month Mary Penny!
1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
2012 during my 2nd year of college. Tried a class after a recommendation from a friend and I was hooked immediately. It kept me sane through 4 years of engineering school!
2. What time of day do you normally come in?
Die hard 7 AMer.
3. What is one movement you hate and one you love?
Hate box jumps. Love anything with a sandbag or sleds. In general don’t sign me up for cardio.
4. Any big goal(s) set for the next year?
Not fitness related, but finishing grad school! Fitness-wise, want to focus more on movement fundamentals and base strength for injury prevention. Boring, but necessary! I have a habit of going full steam ahead and getting sloppy, which usually results in a dumb injury.
5. Tell us one fun fact about you.
I landed my first 180 on a snowboard last winter! Snowboarding is my absolute favorite winter activity. I’m not phenomenal at it, but it makes for some fun winters!
6. You were left on a deserted island. What one food and thing (i.e. book, music player, etc…) would you want to be left with?
Food would have to be sushi, thing = sketch pad and pencil, I love to doodle! And margaritas if possible
7. How has CrossFit helped you in sports? Life?
CrossFit has totally helped me with everything from rec softball to swimming to carrying heavy stuff! Life wise, its my me time. I love the community aspect of CrossFit, but I also love that I can zone out, keep quiet, clear my head, and just focus on the hard workout instead of work or lifes problems.
8. How have workouts changed for you over the years?
Back when I first started CrossFit, id see the RX workouts and be like “wow I could never do that”. Now, I get annoyed with myself if I need to scale something from the RX workout. Going forward, I want to ditch that mentality and scale effectively to get the best workout I can while still making fitness gains and staying injury free.
Rate your skills: 1-10– 10 being your best.
Endurance – 1
Stamina – 3
Strength – 8
Flexibility – 10
Speed – 6
Agility – 2
Balance – 4
Accuracy – 7
Power – 9
Coordination – 5